Cville SHRM Member of the Month - February 2024
Get to know our Member of the Month- Ashley McCleary, HR Manager for Virginia Veterinary Specialists!!
1. How long have you been a member of Cville SHRM?
· I joined Cville SHRM in Jan 2022. 2 years ago!
2. Why did you join Cville SHRM?
· My boss at the time suggested it as a great resource for me. I am a department of one, so having a network of colleagues to draw from is so helpful!
3. What’s your favorite part of being a member of Cville SHRM?
· Again, as a department of one, it is wonderful having this group as a resource for guidance, best practice, and ideas. Being able to come to a room and “geek out” with like-minded people about HR stuff is a great way of affirming I’m in the field I want to be in!
4. What is your current occupation?
· I am currently the HR Manager for Virginia Veterinary Specialists.
5. What do you love most about your job?
· I really love leadership development and intentional culture building in an industry that really needs this guidance!
6. Who inspires you?
· With regards to inspiration for doing what I do, I am inspired by the employees that I am responsible to everyday. Hiring great people who are dedicated to the place and to each other really inspires me to keep striving to make our company the best place possible. Personally, I find inspiration from some of the wonderful mentors I had early on in my career. I also find great inspiration from author and speaker Marcus Buckingham, who speaks about designing love into your organization.
7. What advice would you give to someone who wants to enter HR?
· HR is more than meets the eye and it is NOT the principal’s office! Keep learning and challenging yourself personally to develop a well rounded set of skills that helps you influence people in positive ways.
8. What’s something about you (a fun fact) that not many people know?
· In another life, I would have loved to have been a stand-up comedian!
9. What’s the next place on your travel bucket list?
· I have always wanted to travel to Greece and all along the Mediterranean.
10. What’s one item you can’t live without?
· Chapstick! If you’ve ever seen my office, I have at least 4-5 different varieties that I use daily!